What happens when your parents spoil you half to death and you feel overwhelmed by too many activities? Make a list! If you’re looking to plan a trip to Kauai, I recommend all of these things!
1. Learned from working archaeologists in Makauwahi Sinkhole
2. Carved a pineapple
3. Flew over Jurassic Park falls and the Na’Pali coast in a helicopter. Attempted to dance to the Enya music playing over the headphones. Failed at dancing to Enya music
4. Meditated under a giant banyan tree in a Hindu monastery.
(Picture excluded out of respect for the monastery – go visit it yourself!)
5. Hiked up to the face of the Sleeping Giant on a gloriously clear day.
6. Rode horses through lots of vegetation. Horse in front attempted to eat all the vegetation, making ride painfully slow.
7. Clambered down into Waikanaloa Wet Cave.
8. Discovered a dead boar by Ke’e Beach (boar not pictured).
9. Devoured Puka Dogs, Makai Sushi, and so much SERIOUSLY AMAZING PAPALANI GELATO.
10. Snorkeled with dozens of sea turtles, schools of tropical fish, and a scary monk seal, right off the steps of our condo complex.
11. Watched whales and dolphins from the comfort of the hot tub.
12. Took shelter dogs Ava the whippet and Cubby the hound on a field trip to the beach. (Until Ava ruined everything by knocking over Matt’s shaved ice. Thanks, Ava.)
13. Shared memories with old friends over an extravagant meal while listening to Aldrine Guerrero jam on the ukulele at Oasis on the Beach. Drank all the fruity drinks.
14. Trekked along the coastal Kalalau trail then inland through the jungle to swim under the 300-foot Hanakapiai Waterfall.
15. Found 16 geocaches, which had us crawling under bushes in a botanical garden, searching through an old Russian fort during a downpour, and bouncing across a swinging bridge.
16. Went sightseeing to Waimea canyon.
17. Continued driving all the way to Kalalau lookout… which was suddenly shrouded in clouds
18. Pointed at chickens. Laughed at chickens. Chased chickens.
19. Read all over the place.
20. Danced on the beach under the stars.
21. Spent time in paradise with the best family a girl could ask for.